Filed under News, Top Stories, Video

Winter Olympic Preview

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Attention all daredevil winter athletes, get on a plane and go to South Korea for this year’s WINTER OLYMPICS! On February 9th the Korean city, Pyeongchang, as reported by GOOGLE, will be flooded by tourists attending the 2018 Olympic games.  Some will be living the fantasy that they could be Olympic material such as Eddie the Eagle or Jesse Owens in a race. Some go to cheer for countrymen and celebrate their nationalism. The billion-dollar event will go down in history as a compelling athletic rivalry.

Biathlon

Biathlon includes cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.

2014 – Biathlon mixed relay is added to the Olympics in Sochi.

Bobsleigh

1924 – Fours bobsled is a part of the first winter Olympics in Chamonix Mont-Blanc.

2002 – Women’s pairs bobsled is added to the Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Curling

1924 – Curling is a part of the first winter Olympics in Chamonix Mont-Blanc.

1998 – Curling is added to the Olympics in Nagano.

Ice Hockey

1924 – Ice hockey is a part of the first winter Olympics in Chamonix Mont-Blanc.

1998 – Participation rules are changed so professional hockey players may participate in the Olympics.

Luge

1964 – Luge is added to the Olympic games in Innsbruck.

2014 – Luge team relay is added to the Olympics in Sochi.

Nordic Combined

Nordic Combined involves cross-country skiing and ski jumping.

1924 – Nordic Combined is a part of the first winter Olympics in Chamonix Mont-Blanc.

Skating

The four figure skating events are men’s singles, women’s singles, pairs, and ice dancing.

1960 – Women’s speed skating is added to the Olympics in Squaw Valley.

Skeleton

1928 – Skeleton is added to the Olympics in St. Moritz.

1948 – The last skeleton is included in Olympic competition until 2002.

2002 – Skeleton is added once again to the Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Skiing

Alpine skiing events are downhill, super-G, giant slalom, slalom, and combined.

1924 – Ski jumping and cross-country skiing are a part of the first winter Olympics in Chamonix Mont-Blanc.

1992 – Mogul freestyle skiing is added to the Olympics in Albertville.

Snowboard

1998 – Snowboarding is added to the Olympics in Nagano.

   Credit to CNY ( Central News Network ) for Olympic chart

Whether athletes win or lose, play well or badly, athletes all leave the Olympics to different home countries with their own personal triumph.  On February 9th, the world will watch in suspense as thousands of athletes gather at a mountainous site one hour away from the North Korean border.  After diplomatic talks, North and South Korean athletes will march together under one unified flag.  

The economic reality of hosting the Olympic Games means when you walk off the plane you will likely feel like you’ve become part of a never-ending commercial for the duration of your stay.  This is because only 20% of funding comes from the host country.  The other 80% of the cost comes from advertising. Companies such as Coke are involved in promoting figure skating and good old-fashioned sporting apparel companies like Dicks Sporting Goods pay all expenses for USA players.

Pyeongchang, in the Gangwon province, is supposed to be the spark of an economic surge in South Korea. I hope everyone tunes in and cheers for our athletes!

Interesting Facts and Dates:

November 1, 2017 – The flame arrives in the Republic of Korea, 100 days before the Games are scheduled to begin.

November 7, 2017 – The POC announces that the 13 sporting venues are currently 99.7% completed.

November 17, 2017 – The Nigerian bobsled team qualifies for the 2018 Olympics becoming both the first Nigerian team and the first African women competitors to be represented at the Winter Olympics.

December 5, 2017 – The IOC announces that Russia is banned from participating in the 2018 Olympics due to a lengthy investigation into possible use of illegal drugs to enhance performance. Clean athletes will be allowed to participate under the generic Olympic flag.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




*

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Winter Olympic Preview

    Sports

    Mrs. Sped Gets 500th Win

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    News

    Cupcake ATM

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    News

    Amelia Earhart Mystery Solved (?)

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    Student Life

    Hamster Cam

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    News

    Eight Cheetah Cubs Born

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    A&E

    Abigail Dylan Harrison- An Interview

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    News

    Bronx Zoo’s New Arrival

  • Video

    Laurel or Yanny

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    News

    The Royal Wedding

  • Winter Olympic Preview

    Student Life

    Mrs. Sgro has a Baby Boy

Winter Olympic Preview